Tight clothing seems to be the fashion now. This includes what is known as "shapewear" which is restrictive garments worn under clothing to make you appear slimmer. Although it can make you appear more shapely, it can also wreak havoc on your health and even cause blood clots.
Think of it like this: When you put a rubber band around your wrist, what happens? Eventually it will cause the blood to stop circulating. It is no different with shapewear. Shapewear comes in all shapes, including waste cinchers (like a corset), body shapers, and even arm shapers.
Here are some of the side effects of wearing shapewear and other restrictive clothing:
- Severe compression of the stomach, intestines and colon can increase acid reflux and heartburn.
- Severe compression of the intestines can interfere with the flow of digestion and the ability to food to move through the digestive tract.
- Compression can interfere with proper leg circulation and cause leg pain and numbness.
- Compression can increase the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Severe compression can hurt normal blood circulation and cause blood clots.