That expression "You Are What You Eat" is not just a popular phrase but accurately describes how food affects your body. Healthy eating results in a healthy body. For those who have Type 2 Diabetes, it is even more important to eat the right foods.
Theses 5 food have been recommended by The American Diabetes Association:
- Fish - contains omega-3 fatty acids. Why is this important for diabetics? Diabetics have low amounts of the good cholesterol and high amounts of triglycerides. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids helps to control this. The best fish to eat includes salmon, tuna and mackerel.
- Oatmeal - the fiber in oatmeal helps to balance blood sugar, and the bran and germ in the whole grains are also beneficial. Oatmeal also has potassium, chromium, folate, magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dark leafy green vegetables - this includes spinach, kale, collard greens and mustard greens, all of which are low in carbohydrates, high in vitamin C and will not raise blood sugar.
- Yogurt - eating low-fat or fat-free yogurt keeps diabetes under control because of its low saturated fat. It also has lots of calcium and vitamin D which is good for overall health.
- Nuts/Seeds - these are both good snacks to make a habit of eating. The monounsaturated fatty acids in nuts, for example, can actually reverse insulin resistance. Flax seeds and walnuts have omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts in general contain fiber which will also fill you up.
For more information on foods that are good for diabetics, visit www.unsugarize.com/articles/5-foods-that-you-should-eat-on-a-diabetic-diet.html/